Skip to Main Content
Services Talent Knowledge
Site Search


Our attorneys stay on top of changes in legislation, agency regulations, case law, and industry trends—then craft timely legal alerts to keep clients up to date on legal developments important to their business.

July 19, 2018

Expect Delays in Issuance of Employment Authorization Documents

Foreign workers must present documents indicating proper work authorization to their US employers. Acceptable documents include the Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which is issued by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to qualifying non-immigrants.

Traditionally, USCIS is required to issue EADs within 90 days of filing an I-765 application. However, that is no longer the case. According to the USCIS Vermont and Texas Service Centers, the average timeframe to issue an EAD on a pending employment-based adjustment of status application (category (c)(9)) is between three and a half to five and a half months, with the California Service Center having the quickest turnaround processing time of one and a half to five months. However, there have been multiple recent reports noting that it has been taking over eight months for USCIS to issue these EADs.

This becomes especially problematic when an EAD is expiring and must be renewed, presenting many issues for the applicants, their employers, and dependent spouses because they may be experiencing a gap in employment authorization. Without a valid EAD, the individuals and their spouses cannot legally continue to work. Employers and employees should be aware of these delays and prepare well ahead of the EAD expiration date.

In certain limited circumstances, foreign workers may receive an automatic extension of their expiring EAD for up to 180 days, provided that a renewal application is:

  1. Filed with USCIS prior to the expiration date of the EAD.
  2. Based on the same employment category.
  3. Based on a certain class of workers who maintain employment eligibility and that the employment authorization category does not require adjudication of an underlying petition.

In all circumstances, we recommend that EAD renewal applications be filed 120 days prior to the expiration, which is the earliest that they may be filed with USCIS. During the entire pendency of the adjustment of status application, the foreign worker should maintain the underlying non-immigrant status such as H-1B and L-1. All extension applications should also be filed at least six months prior to the EAD's expiration to ensure a minimal or nonexistent gap in work authorization.

If you have questions regarding the information presented in this alert, please contact Melle Fabian, associate, at


Click here to sign up for alerts, blog posts, and firm news.

Featured Media


ADA Accessibility Lawsuits: Several New "Tester" Plaintiffs—Celeste Edwards, Erick Gathers, Stephen Giannaros, and Arnold Vargas—Targeting Businesses in Recent Flurry of Federal Lawsuits in Massachusetts


Northern Long-Eared Bat Granted Federal Endangered Status


USFWS Proposes Revision to African Elephant 4(d) Rule


Red Flags That a Company May Be in Financial Trouble, Part 2


NYS Governor Hochul Signs Bill Requiring Posting of Veterans' Benefits and Services


Office of Cannabis Management Preview of NYS Adult-Use Cannabis Regulations

This site uses cookies to give you the best experience possible on our site and in some cases direct advertisements to you based upon your use of our site.

By clicking [I agree], you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For information on what cookies we use and how to manage our use of cookies, please visit our Privacy Statement.

I AgreeOpt-Out